Without a medical education, it is quite difficult to understand how dangerous cholesterol is 13 units, and what to do in such a situation. An increase in the norm of the value is a risk factor for circulatory disorders in the brain, the development of coronary heart disease.
Patients who suffer from diabetes are at risk. Statistics note that in most diabetics, low-density lipoproteins are elevated, while there is a decrease in good cholesterol in the body.
The norms of the cholesterol indicator are relative, they vary not only depending on the age group of a person, but also on gender. When a blood test shows a result of 13.22 mmol per liter, then a treatment aimed at reducing the level is necessary.
Consider what a cholesterol indicator of 13.5 units means, how to lower it in order to avoid the likelihood of complications?
The value of cholesterol is 13 mmol / l, what does this mean?
Biochemical study of biological fluid shows the total amount of cholesterol in diabetes. In case of deviation from the normal indicator, the patient is recommended to undergo a study that allows to determine harmful (LDL) and good (HDL) cholesterol.
LDL appears to be the cause of heart attack, stroke, blockage of blood vessels, which can lead to disability or death.
In violation of fat metabolism, which often accompanies diabetes mellitus, the deposition of atherosclerotic plaques on the walls of blood vessels significantly worsens overall health and requires immediate treatment.
The breakdown of the analysis is as follows:
- Up to 5 units. Officially, it is believed that the level can be up to six units, but for complete confidence in the normal functioning of the cardiovascular system, it is necessary that the level does not exceed the specified threshold of five units;
- Cholesterol level 5-6 units. With this result, they speak of a borderline value, treatment with medications is not prescribed, but it is necessary to follow a diet and play sports. If this value is found, the diabetic should be tested again to make sure the result is correct. It is not excluded that fatty foods were consumed before the study;
- Over 6 units – a pathological condition that poses a certain danger to the heart and blood vessels. A direct relationship between the concentration of LDL and atherosclerosis, a pathology leading to strokes and heart attacks, has been proven.
If total cholesterol is 13.25-13.31 mmol / l, this condition requires mandatory correction. Based on this result, the medical specialist recommends doing a lipid profile to find out the level of LDL and HDL.
Bad cholesterol is normally up to 2.59 units, and the concentration of HDL varies from 1.036 to 1.29 mmol / l, where the lower bar is recommended for men and the upper limit for women.
Why does blood cholesterol rise ?
Deaths from heart attacks and strokes are diagnosed every year. Death is often associated with cholesterol levels, since atherosclerotic plaques clog blood vessels and disrupt blood flow.
The first reason for high LDL levels is unhealthy eating habits.
It is believed that this factor is the most common. But one can argue with the fact, since only 20% of the fat-like substance enters the body with food, the rest is produced by internal organs.
In addition, if you completely eliminate foods with cholesterol , the body will begin to produce more in the liver. Therefore, a balanced and rational diet is required – it is recommended to maintain a balance between proteins, lipids and carbohydrates.
Somatic pathologies lead to high cholesterol:
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
- Diseases of the liver / kidneys.
In medicine, there is a certain relationship between bad habits – smoking, alcohol and cholesterol profile. Refusal of cigarettes and alcohol will significantly improve the condition of blood vessels.
Other causes of high cholesterol:
- Hereditary predisposition associated with impaired lipid metabolism at the cellular level;
- A sedentary lifestyle, lack of physical activity provokes an increase in LDL against a background of a decrease in HDL;
- Excess weight in type 2 diabetes mellitus leads to a high probability of developing atherosclerosis, heart attack, and other heart diseases.
In most patients older than 50 years of age, the concentration of cholesterol in the blood is steadily increasing. Most often this is associated with various diseases of a chronic nature, but age also plays a significant role. Over the years, the condition of the blood vessels worsens, blood circulation slows down.
Taking certain medications disrupts fat processes in the body, which provokes an increase in cholesterol. Most often, birth control pills, less often – the use of corticosteroids.
How to normalize cholesterol level?
If cholesterol is 13, what should I do? An error in the study cannot be ruled out, therefore, first of all, one more analysis must be done. Re-examination allows you to eliminate the alleged error. Donate blood on an empty stomach in the morning.
In diabetes, an additional consultation with an endocrinologist is required, since the disease affects cholesterol levels. It is mandatory to normalize glucose levels. If the underlying cause of hypercholesterolemia is liver disease, it is necessary to be examined by a gastroenterologist.
With cholesterol of 13.5 units, the following is recommended:
- The diet for diabetics should contain a minimum amount of calories, reduce the intake of animal fats. The menu includes vegetables, non-sweet fruits, nut products, herbs, olive oil. Such food is replete with vitamin components.
- In the absence of medical contraindications, optimal physical activity is required. For example, cycling, slow running, evening walks, aerobics.
After a six-month period of adherence to dietary nutrition and sports, it is necessary to undergo a blood test again. Practice shows that impeccable adherence to the recommendations helps to normalize the level within the normal range. If non-drug measures do not help, then the diabetic is prescribed medicines. First , statins are prescribed , the dosage is determined individually. If the effect of the use of drugs in this group is insufficient, then the dose is increased, or fibrates are prescribed .
An increase in the content of bad cholesterol, especially above 13 mmol / l, is the dominant risk factor for the development of cardiovascular pathologies caused by atherosclerosis. Proper nutrition, lack of excess weight, normal blood sugar – these are the goals that every diabetic should strive for in order to prevent complications.