High cholesterol is the most common factor in the development of atherosclerosis. The increase in TC primarily indicates a violation of fatty processes, which significantly increases the likelihood of pathologies of a cardiovascular nature.
Despite the fact that a fat-like substance takes an active part in many processes in the body, promotes the production of steroid hormones, protects cell membranes, etc., 15 mmol / l cholesterol is a lot for both men and women.
The desired level of total cholesterol for a diabetic is less than 5 mmol / l. With an indicator of 5.2-6.2 units, borderline content is diagnosed, requiring a change in lifestyle; a value over 6.3 mmol / l is a lot, and more than 7.8 units is a critical mark.
With an OH of 15.5 units, the risk of developing atherosclerosis increases. In turn, the disease leads to serious complications. Consider how to normalize the lipid profile, and what to do to normalize cholesterol ?
What does cholesterol 15 mmol/l mean?
Cholesterol appears to be a neutral substance. However, when fatty alcohol combines with protein components, it tends to settle on the walls of blood vessels, which leads to impaired blood flow, increasing the risk of thrombosis. With atherosclerosis of the aorta, constantly high blood pressure is manifested, diabetics often complain of headaches, dizziness, fainting.
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disease characterized by impaired absorption of sugar in the body. This pathology refers the patient to a risk group for the occurrence of atherosclerosis of the vessels. Statistics note that diabetics suffer from high cholesterol five times more often, and fifteen mmol / l in the results of the analysis is a serious threat to life. If the necessary measures are not taken, the level will steadily rise.
Practice shows that the course of atherosclerosis against the background of diabetes mellitus is more severe and aggressive, and serious complications are often noted. In diabetes, almost all blood vessels can be affected – coronary, fundus, brain, kidney, lower extremities, etc.
The main causes of high cholesterol in diabetics include the following factors and conditions:
- Improper diet, rich in fatty foods, which increases the amount of cholesterol entering the body.
- Violation of lipid processes. Against the background of diabetes, there is an incorrect production of phospholipids (healthy fats), the functioning of the liver and pancreas worsens – organs that are actively involved in fat metabolism.
- The permeability of blood vessels increases, which contributes to the deposition of atherosclerotic plaques.
- Oxidation processes are upset.
- Increases blood clotting, increases the risk of blood clots.
If a person without diabetes mellitus with a cholesterol of 15 mmol / l has no symptoms, then a diabetic has alarming signs – decreased attention, memory impairment, frequent headaches and dizziness.
Drugs that normalize cholesterol levels
Cholesterol 15 mmol / l – this is not normal. This level requires medical treatment with the use of drugs. Medications belonging to the group of statins and fibrates are prescribed . The most commonly recommended active ingredient is rosuvastatin . Clinical studies have shown that taking the drug reduces cholesterol levels by 50-55%.
Crestor is a drug for hypercholesterolemia . Available in tablet form, 5-10-20-40 mg of the active ingredient. It has a hypolipidemic effect. The application provides a significant reduction in LDL by increasing the number of hepatic receptors that regulate the concentration of dangerous cholesterol .
How much is the dosage of Crestor , the doctor will tell. The traditional dose is 5-10 mg per day. After 3 weeks of daily treatment, the dosage can be increased. Contraindications include organic liver damage, pregnancy, lactation, myopathy, allergic reactions to the constituent drugs.
The following pills help to normalize cholesterol levels:
- Atomax . The active ingredient is atorvastatin . The medicine is taken only in combination with a diet. The dosage varies from 10 to 80 mg per day. The average dose is 10-20 mg. Absolute contraindications include liver diseases of idiopathic origin. Carefully taken with hypertension, diabetes mellitus, uncontrolled form of epilepsy;
- Zokor . The active ingredient is simvastatin . The dosage is selected taking into account the cholesterol level. On average, 5-15 mg per day is prescribed. In diabetes, constant monitoring of cholesterol and glucose is required. Absolute contraindications include pregnancy, lactation, children under five years of age, acute liver pathologies;
- Fluvastatin . As part of the active ingredient, which has a similar name. Reception is carried out once a day, the dose ranges from 20 to 40 mg. Must be taken in the evening. Contraindications: dosage form of allergy, violations of the functionality of the liver, the growth of liver enzymes.
Therapy with statins leads to the development of adverse reactions. Patients experience frequent dizziness, headaches, dyspeptic disorders, abdominal pain, loose stools.
With diabetes, a sharp drop in blood sugar is possible.
Prevention of atherosclerosis
With cholesterol of 15 units, it is necessary to adhere to prevention that prevents complications of hypercholesterolemia . So, cholesterol 15, what to do? A balanced diet, regular physical activity and weight control help to normalize the level.
A diet containing a small amount of animal fats helps to get rid of extra pounds. Doctors note that losing 2-5 kg helps to reduce LDL levels by 10-15%. It is recommended to completely exclude trans fats from the menu, limit the intake of foods rich in cholesterol.
Against the background of diabetes mellitus, patients are advised to monitor the following indicators:
- Glucose in the blood.
- Arterial pressure.
- Carrying out a lipidogram every 3 months.
Excess weight affects cholesterol levels. With physical exertion, there is a decrease in low-density lipoproteins and triglycerides, an increase in HDL. Physical activity is especially effective in combination with a balanced diet. Ideally, training should be developed by a specialist. Patients are recommended morning exercises, exercise therapy, aerobics, walking.
As a preventive measure for high cholesterol, traditional medicine can be used to help restore lipid processes. Hawthorn, plantain, garlic, fennel, linden help well. Based on the components, decoctions and tinctures are prepared. Take courses. Subject to the described recommendations, the prognosis is favorable.