Corn porridge for type 2 diabetes brings undoubted benefits to the body of a diabetic, and as practice shows, it helps to significantly reduce the concentration of glucose in the blood, maintains the health and well-being of the patient at the required level.
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic pathology characterized by the cessation of the absorption of sugar in the human body. Due to such a failure, a multiple increase in glucose in the human body is carried out.
With this pathology, the patient’s appetite almost always remains at the same level, and in some situations it even increases, which leads to excess weight, and if the situation is ignored, obesity is diagnosed.
With diabetes in terms of nutrition, the main thing is to get rid of those extra pounds, or not to gain them. In addition, the calorie content of food products and their glycemic index are of no small importance.
Corn porridge is a legal product for diabetes. Therefore, it is necessary to figure out what useful properties such a dish has, and what recipes are suitable for diabetics?
All About Diabetes Corn
Many patients are wondering, is it possible to eat boiled corn for type 2 diabetes? Doctors believe that such a product is quite useful, so they allow it for use.
You need to choose young cobs, as they contain much more nutrients when compared to overripe corn. You need to cook in water, preferably without table salt, until fully cooked, and eat no more than two ears a day.
There is practically no benefit from canned corn, it contains no more than 20% of nutrients from the original indicators. In addition, such products are usually supplemented with granulated sugar, preservatives and flavors, which reduces the benefits by several times.
However, sometimes you can afford canned corn, for example, add a few tablespoons to the first course or salad.
Corn flour has special benefits for diabetes mellitus, which consists in the following points:
- Due to the special processing technology, flour retains all useful components.
- You can cook a variety of dishes from flour that allow you to diversify the diet and benefit the body – pancakes, pies, pancakes, and so on.
- Thanks to flour, you can bake pastry baked goods, which will be not only tasty, but also healthy.
Endocrinologists claim that corn porridge is practically a panacea for diabetes. Since it helps to reduce the amount of bad cholesterol, is a supplier of folic acid, strengthens bones, improves kidney function in diabetics, and reduces the development of concomitant pathologies of the cardiovascular system.
Corn grits: benefits and harms
With diabetes mellitus, corn porridge is a storehouse of mineral elements, vitamins and nutrients. Moreover, it has a relatively low glycemic index, which is 50.
Corn grits are a kind of material that generates complex carbohydrates, as a result of which they are absorbed in the human body for a long period of time, and the patient forgets about the feeling of hunger. In addition, the porridge is rich in fiber, which helps to reduce the absorption of carbohydrates.
It is also important that corn porridge contains a specific component called amylase, which slows down the penetration of sugar into the bloodstream of a diabetic.
Features of corn porridge for the second type of diabetes:
- Low calorie content of the prepared product, which allows you to keep body weight at the required level, and not to gain extra pounds, which aggravate the course of the disease.
- Studies have shown that introducing corn porridge into a diabetic’s daily diet over time helps to keep medication to a minimum.
- The second type of diabetes imposes some restrictions on the preparation of the product: you should refuse to add butter, sugar to porridge. If you want to make the dish more tasty and at the same time, so that the sugar does not rise after meals , you can add a small amount of dried fruit.
- In type 2 diabetes, corn porridge should be eaten in small portions: the maximum volume of one serving is four heaped tablespoons at a time.
Despite the benefits of corn, cornflakes are not beneficial to the body. This circumstance is explained by the fact that the process of their manufacture implies many production stages, as a result of which the beneficial substances are leveled.
In addition, in case of diabetes mellitus, it is recommended to completely abandon such a product, since in the overwhelming majority of cases it contains sugar or table salt, which do not benefit the human body.
Corn porridge has not only a positive, but also a negative side. There are a number of situations where it is recommended to refuse such a product, or to reduce its consumption to a minimum number of times a week:
- Predisposition to blood clots.
- Diseases of the circulatory system.
- Ulcerative pathology of the stomach, duodenum.
Undoubtedly, the points listed above are not absolute contraindications for use, they just imply that abuse of the product will not benefit the body, so everything should be in moderation.
Cooking methods and recipes
The benefits of the product are undeniable, but corn cereal porridge must also be consumed correctly. It is not recommended to add oil, but if the dish seems too bland, then it is permissible to add a minimum amount.
The fact is that if you season the finished dish with fats, then due to this circumstance, the glycemic index also grows, which does not benefit a diabetic, and a diet with high sugar does not allow this.
It is forbidden to combine porridge with fatty cottage cheese. However, you can diversify the dish with nuts, dried fruits, cinnamon. In addition, adding vegetables to the porridge as a side dish will be no less useful. They can be boiled, stewed, steamed.
Corn porridge can be eaten at any stage of diabetes. But doctors believe that if you enrich her diet at the initial stages of the disease, then drug correction may not be required at all.
General rules for cooking corn porridge:
- The groats must be fresh, they are stored in a cotton bag.
- Before preparing the product, it must be rinsed under running water.
- The groats are always placed in boiling water, which can be slightly salted.
Diabetic porridge is usually prepared in water. However, in order to improve the taste, it is permissible to add a small amount of skim milk to the semi-finished product.
Hominy recipe for diabetics:
- Pour water into an enamelled container with thick walls, bring to a boil.
- Pour 150 grams of corn grits into the water, cook until thick, stir constantly.
- After turning off the heat, leave covered for 15 minutes.
- Then put it on the table and put the resulting porridge into a roll.
You can serve it cold or hot by cutting the roll into small pieces, add boiled vegetables as a side dish. Reviews of diabetics say that such a dish is porridge, but it looks completely different, which adds an aesthetic perception to its useful properties.
Corn porridge can also be cooked in a double boiler (this cooking method allows a 5 table diet ). To do this, the cereals are thoroughly washed, sent to a container for preparation, two thirds of the required water and one third of skim milk are added. Simmer the dish for at least 30 minutes; it is better to serve hot along with herbs and vegetables.
Corn grits are rightfully considered a valuable and very useful food product, which significantly lowers the concentration of glucose in the blood, allowing diabetics to live a normal and fulfilling life.