It is possible to eliminate hyperglycemia at home. Diabetics often ask their doctors how to reduce blood sugar at home quickly and effectively. For these purposes, it is best to use hypoglycemic drugs.
If the patient has type 1 diabetes, that is, insulin-dependent, treatment is carried out through insulin therapy. It is impossible to stabilize glycemia urgently with folk remedies in this case.
In case of non-insulin dependent diabetes (type 2), drug therapy can be supplemented with diet, moderate exercise and folk recipes. With an integrated approach, it is realistic to stabilize the blood glucose level.
Type 1 diabetes: the basics of treatment
Type 1 diabetes mellitus is a pathology in which the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin. As a result, the patient develops chronic hyperglycemia. Usually the disease is congenital.
Insulin-dependent type of diabetes is treated exclusively with medication. Moreover, in this case, hypoglycemic tablets (Metformin, Glukofazh, Yanumet, etc.) are not used. Treat the ailment exclusively through insulin therapy. Sometimes the patient is given an insulin pump to help keep blood glucose levels normal throughout the day.
There are 3 types of insulin used for treatment:
- Short acting.
- Intermediate action.
- Long-term action.
The injections are given subcutaneously. It is prohibited to inject the hormone into the vein. The dosage and frequency of insulin injections are selected on a strictly individual basis. With this type of diabetes, it is impossible to reduce glucose at home quickly and effectively.
Any folk recipes can be used only for auxiliary purposes. For example, with insulin-dependent diabetes, you can take a decoction of beans or calendula.
Folk ways to lower sugar with type 2 diabetes
It is possible to reduce blood glucose at home quickly and effectively with type 2 diabetes. For this it is necessary to use the recipes of alternative medicine. But again, the use of such means is not allowed in all cases.
Doctors do not recommend using tinctures and decoctions during pregnancy, as well as diabetics who are prone to allergic or anaphylactic reactions. In addition, folk remedies will not be effective if the sugar level is 12.5-20 mmol / l.
So, to bring down glucose will help:
- A mixture of lemon and egg. To prepare it, you need to mix 50 ml of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 5 quail eggs. You need to take the drug once before meals.
- A decoction of bay leaves. 10 fresh leaves and 3 cups of warm water are mixed. The resulting product must be brought to a boil and insisted for 3-4 hours. The broth is filtered before use. To stabilize the glycemic level, you need to take 100 ml of the drug 2-3 times a day.
- Infusion of honey and cinnamon. You need to take a seasoning with honey in a 1: 2 ratio. Initially, you need to pour cinnamon with a glass of boiling water, then let the mixture brew for 30 minutes. When the drug cools down, honey must be added to it. It is advisable to put the infusion in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. You need to drink no more than 100 ml of the drug at a time. By the way, this recipe is perfect for diabetics who have high blood cholesterol levels.
- Freshly squeezed burdock juice. It should be taken in a dosage of 10-15 ml 2-3 times a day. It is advisable to take it before meals. If desired, the juice can be diluted with 100-200 ml of purified water.
Natural tinctures and decoctions do not reduce sugar with 100% probability. The mainstay of treatment is diet and hypoglycemic drugs.
The Role of Diet and Exercise
Unfortunately, it is impossible to reduce blood sugar at home quickly and effectively in 1 day. Stabilizing glycemia is a long process. To achieve stable compensation for the disease is possible only with an integrated approach.
In type 2 diabetes, moderate physical activity is a prerequisite for treatment. Exercise will be equally beneficial for a diabetic child and an adult. Exceptions are cases when trophic ulcers or other acute complications develop against the background of the “sweet illness”.
The benefits of exercise are in several aspects:
- Sport helps to increase insulin levels and improve the sensitivity of cells to this hormone.
- Exercise can help lower blood sugar levels.
- In the presence of obesity, sports creates a greater calorie deficit, and, accordingly, it is easier for the patient to lose weight.
For a diabetic, walking, yoga, swimming, running, cycling will be useful. You should refrain from intense physical activity, especially in the case of using hypoglycemic drugs or insulin.
Diet also helps to stabilize blood glucose levels. If the patient is overweight, then he needs to follow a low-carb diet. The amount of carbohydrates should be reduced to a minimum – no more than 150 grams per day. Sweets, semi-finished products and any foods with a high glycemic index should be removed from the menu.
The basis of the diet will be porridge on the water, lean meat and fish, seafood, dairy products with a low% fat content. In order for the glucose content to be at a normal level, you need to eat fractionally. This technique will save you from surges in glycemia.
It is necessary to follow a diet with type 2 diabetes throughout life.
Not a single folk remedy will help to instantly lower glucose levels. If the analysis for sugar confirms that the diabetic cannot achieve compensation for the disease through diet therapy, physical activity and a healthy lifestyle, then the patient is prescribed hypoglycemic agents.
But again, these drugs do not work dramatically and instantly. Usually, glycemic stabilization is achieved 1.5-2 hours after taking the medication. Both a child and an adult can take hypoglycemic agents. Medication is rarely prescribed for pregnant women.
For the treatment of type 2 diabetes, the following groups of drugs are used:
- Thiazolidinediones – Pioglar, Aktos, Diaglitazone.
- Biguanides – Metformin, Siofor, Glucophage.
- DPP-4 inhibitors – Januvia, Galvus, Ongliza.
- GLP-1 receptor agonists – Byetta, Victoza.
- Alpha glucosidase inhibitors – Glucobay.
- Sulfonylurea derivatives – Diabeton, Maninil, Amaryl, Glyurenorm, Glidiab.
- Metglinides – Novonorm, Starlix.
The most dangerous drugs are sulfonylurea derivatives and metglinides. The fact is that when they are used, the cells of the pancreas are depleted. Testimonials from doctors indicate that regular intake of these medications can lead to the fact that type 2 diabetes will go into type 1 diabetes.
Biguanides are the safest for the body. They have a mild effect on the body, are inexpensive and rarely cause side effects.
If we consider the most effective means, then DPP-4 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists can be distinguished. Medications also do not help to lower glycemia instantly, but they affect the diabetic’s body mildly. The disadvantage of tablets is their high cost.
It should be noted that insulin therapy can also be prescribed for type 2 diabetes . This decision is made if the patient develops decompensated diabetes mellitus, and it is not possible to stabilize glycemia through diet, exercise and taking hypoglycemic agents.
For an urgent reduction in glycemia, absolutely any type of insulin can be used, but short-acting insulins are preferred, since they begin to act literally 30 minutes after the injection.