Obtaining a disability group in diabetes mellitus is necessary for the appointment of benefits and subsidies from the state. These patients are entitled to general benefits:
- free activities to restore health (including getting vouchers for sanatorium treatment);
- Information support;
- out of turn service in municipal institutions;
- parking in specially designated areas near organizations;
- discount on housing and communal services and taxes;
- formation of conditions for social adaptation;
- increased payments for pensioners.
In case of a child’s disability, separate benefits are provided:
- disability pension that parents receive;
- exemption from military service;
- the right to a medical examination in foreign clinics;
- free vouchers for spa treatment;
- special conditions for passing the exam and entrance exams in higher educational institutions.
Parents and guardians of children with disabilities have the right to reduce working hours, receive extra days off and early retirement.
What exactly is required for a disabled person depends on the type of diabetes mellitus. With the first type, you can get:
- free medicines;
- medical supplies for injecting insulin, measuring sugar;
- help from a social worker at home if the patient cannot cope with the disease on his own;
- payments from the state;
- land plot;
- free travel on public transport (not provided in all regions).
With type 2 diabetes:
- free vouchers to the sanatorium;
- reimbursement of travel expenses to a medical facility;
- free medicines, vitamin and mineral complexes, medical supplies;
- cash payments.
Whether you can count on additional benefits depends on regional laws. And after determining the disability group, you should contact the social service for registration of subsidies, compensations and other benefits.
Removing disability from children with diabetes
The deprivation of the disability group in children with diabetes occurs in several cases:
- The child has reached the age of majority.
- The child went through a special school for diabetics and learned to self-inject insulin.
- Restoration of the body’s functionality, the diagnosis was canceled.
Children under 18 years of age become disabled with diabetes mellitus, provided that they cannot independently control their menu, calculate the dose of insulin and administer the drug. As soon as the child goes through special school, the disability is removed. The group is preserved, provided that the patient is diagnosed with persistent disorders in the functionality of the body. And if at the age of 15 they refused to assign disability in case of diabetes mellitus, then this indicates the absence of serious diseases. At the age of 18, disability in diabetes mellitus is removed automatically. To receive a group, an opinion from the ITU is required. In this case, the patient is assessed according to general criteria, as when conducting a survey by adults. You can find out if disability is right from your therapist or endocrinologist. Specialists, based on medical diagnoses, will talk about the procedure for passing the ITU and explain whether they give a group in a particular case.